Seven years, 242 games and 12 titles
Rafa Márquez leaves after 242 games for the club and the nine facts below sum up his extraordinary time at the Nou Camp.
- Signs in 2003. One of the seven signings made at the start of the Rijkaard era, together with
Ronaldinho, Luis García, Quaresma, Rustu, Van Bronkhorst and Mario, none of whom are still at the
-242 official games in his seven years at the club. Despite the injuries he’s suffered,
he was a reference point for both Frank Rijkaard and Pep Guardiola. Only seven other foreign
players have made more appearances than Rafa.
- The first Mexican to play for the first team.
- Of the current squad, only Xavi (527), Puyol (488), Valdés (362) and Iniesta (311), all of
whom joined the club before him, have played more games than the Mexican.
- He made his debut at midnight! Marquez played his first game for the club in the famous
game against Seville on 13 September 2003.
-13 goals scored - the majority from free kicks and corners where he
specialised in near post goals.
-12 titles won: 2 Champions Leagues, 4 Leagues, 1 World Club Cup, 1 European Super Cup, 1
Spanish Cup and 3 Spanish Super Cups.
- Marquez is the only Mexican to pick up two Champions League winners medals – in 2006
and in 2009, when a serious injury in the semi final ruled him out of the Rome final.
-3 clubs. Marquez has played for just three clubs: Atlas Guadalajara (1996-99), Monaco
(1999-03) and Barça (2003-10).