Villarreal v Barça matches are full of anecdotes and curiosities. Bojan’s first goal, Xavi’s first red card in La Liga and a game with eight goals are some of the trivia provided by OPTA.
- El Madrigal had to wait a year before it saw its first Villarreal v
Barça match in the first division. The game on May 9, 1999, was played at Mestalla because the
league committee closed El Madrigal. It was a great game, won 3-2 by Barça.
- Patrick Kluivert scored the first of his six goals against Villarreal in that match, which
makes him the highest goalscorer in Barça matches at El Madrigal.
- The Villarreal v Barça game at El Madrigal was a cracker. They drew 4-4 with Barça coming
back from 3-0 down. A Kluivert hat trick and another from Rivaldo brought things back level. That
was not the only 4-4 of the season. The very next week Barça and Zaragoza drew by the same score at
the Camp Nou.
December 16, 2001, Xavi Hernández was shown a second yellow card for protesting at El Madrigal and
was sent off for the first time in his career. Rexach’s 10-man side managed to hold on
against the Villarreal onslaught and won 1-0.
- On October 20, 2007, Bojan Krkic became the youngest ever Barcelona player to score a
league goal. He was just 17 years, 1 month and 23 days old when he scored the only goal for
Rijkaard’s side in a 3-1 defeat.
- Barça have not lost in five games against Villarreal. Their last defeat was at the Camp Nou
(1-2) in 2007/08. But the side from La Plana has scored at least once in eight games against
- This Saturday’s game involves the two sides that have scored the most away goals from
outside the area this season. Barça have 14 and Villarreal, 10.