Laporta: "We paid the market price"
Joan Laporta believes that FC Barcelona paid the going rate for Daniel Alves while Txiki Begiristain expressed his delight that the player turned down higher offers to sign for the club.
Speaking first, the Blaugrana technical secretary explained that "there had been a great effort" on
the part of the player to join Barça and that he had rejected larger bids from other clubs for his
services. "Sevilla understood that the will of the player and reached an agreement lower than other
clubs had offered to let him sign," he explained.
"The best full-back in the world"
The official price of the transfer stands at €29m up front, with
€6m more to pay depending on a number of performance-related factors over the next few
seasons. In this sense, Laporta explained that "we have paid the market price for the best
full-back in the world".
Begiristain then explained that Alves' arrival had nothing to do with Deco's €10m
departure to Chelsea. Each transfer is different," he said. "All the major clubs around the world
wanted to sign him," he continued, reflecting on the demand for Alves. Reflecting on Deco's move,
however, he said: "We did not receive any other offer, apart from the one from Chelsea. His
performances for us were extraordinary, particularly in his first two seasons here."
Praise for Deco
Deco also earned praise from Laporta, after he helped the club to win
two league titles and the Champions League. "We believe that he had nothing more to prove here and
that it was best if he looked for new challenges," the president said. "We did not want to cause
any problems for him at this stage of his career."
Eto’o and Ronaldinho
On the possible exits of Samuel Eto'o and Ronaldinho that have been reported, Begiristain
stated that "there is no news" and added that "we are waiting for concrete offers from other clubs
so that we can negotiate. I understand that this is difficult because there are not many clubs in
the world willing to pay these amounts".
Effects of the vote
Joan Laporta touched on the forthcoming referendum at FC Barcelona in which fans will vote on the
no confidence measure on July 6. If there is a vote against the board, Laporta explained that "a
situation of chaos and destabilisation would ensue that is not currently there. I say that thinking
only about Barça. I believe that it is disproportinaite and it is not what is needed, because the
club works and is stable".
The president recognised that if 66 per cent of the vote goes against him then a management
committee would have to call elections and that would mean that they could carry out "acts of
administration, but not do things like buying or selling players". Despite that, he made it clear
that the club will not be hurried into doing any deals. "We are working with speed, but not haste,"